The Project Engineer is accountable for project results that achieve business objectives and is responsible for translating those business objectives into the capital project objectives. The Project Engineer is directly accountable to the Business Unit Steering Team (sponsor) and is the leader of the Project Leadership Team. The Project Engineer must understand the roles, responsibilities, and contribution of functional members of the Project Leadership Team and empower them to do their jobs. The Project Engineer is the primary link between the Project Leadership Team and the Business Unit Steering Team (Sponsor). Responsibilities
- Regularly engages the project steering team to ensure alignment with business and functional direction, request staffing support, seek assistance with issue resolution, make strategic project decisions and provide status updates, throughout execution of all aspects of the project.
- Assesses team functional capability, identifies expertise gaps within the project team and solicits the steering team for necessary staffing support.
- Provides leadership for an effective and cohesive team by ensuring roles and responsibilities are clearly understood, team member workloads are reasonable, cross-function communications are adequate, and personality conflicts are managed, for owner and contract members. Engages outside consultants when needed to support the team.
- Ensures the FEL process is followed consistent with the business needs, all required FEL deliverables are accomplished in a quality manner, and leads the project gatekeeping reviews.
- Leads the team in identifying non-cap alternatives or lower capital options, evaluating scope options, conducting risks analyses and developing mitigation plans.
- Ensures excellence in adherence to PSM, SHE, MIQA, GMP, export controls and trade secrets principles, and other core value standards, processes and procedures.
- Performs economic evaluations, prepares funding requests, forecasts capital and non-cap expenditures and asset write-offs, and ensures necessary financial reporting and accounting is performed.
- For smaller projects, serves as the owner’s lead project engineer to ensure necessary engineering processes are followed, leveraging highly with engineering and contractors. Champions the "no change" concept and ensures only changes consistent with the business and project objectives are approved.
- Ensures site personnel are staffed and preparing for commissioning and start-up of the new facilities, including training, procedure updates, maintenance PM records updates, etc.; ensures schedules are aligned with supply chain and operations/maintenance needs, such as TARs, to determine when outages are available if necessary.
- Defines and analyzes KPI’s to insure overall performance expectations for the project are met, and communicates results to the steering team and appropriate functional leaders.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of Project Quality Plans, including auditing work processes and deliverables for compliance, and for meeting agreed upon project quality requirements and expectations.
- Lead the development of the roles and responsibilities definitions for the project and preparation.
- Manage overall project expenditures, cash flow and schedule to meet business expectations.
- Manage project change.
- Responsible for the overall integrated project schedule and total project cost and investment.
- Drive capital project work processes and practices for $.5M - $30MM Project. Decide which best practices are appropriate for the project and lead in their application.
- BS in Engineering required
- Professional Engineering and/or PMP certification preferable
- Experience in Dairy/Pharma/food industry
- Strong leadership skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a changing environment to meet challenging business needs.
- Understanding of the DuPont project process and best practices is a plus.
- Good organization, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Computer skills including Excel.
- Experience managing projects from $500,000 and up
- Experience with SAP/R3 PS, Documentum, SOX project reconciliation, MS Project, 3D Modeling Software and ICARUS a plus.
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at
Location/Region: New Century, KS (US)