This position may be filled at the Corporate Counsel or Assistant General Counsel level depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
This position supports the Legal departments mission and FHLBank management by providing accurate and timely legal advice, assistance and direction, performing legal research, preparing legal memoranda, and reviewing or drafting legal documentation concerning a wide range of legal matters, including: contract review and revision; vendor management; legislative and regulatory review and analysis; drafting and revision of FHLBank policies; lending, credit and collateral; human resources; housing and community development; information security; information technology; capital markets; and litigation support. This position serves as primary counsel for housing and community development, contracting and vendor management matters, as well as provides legal advice to Human Resources and Inclusion, Member Products, Credit and Collateral, and on general corporate governance matters.
Additional qualifications required for each level
- Juris Doctorate degree is required.
- Must be admitted to the Bar of any state.
- If not admitted in Kansas, must be admitted to the Kansas Bar within one year of employment and maintain good standing in Kansas.
- Excellent legal research and drafting skills, including Westlaw legal research.
- Thorough understanding of secured lending and the Uniform Commercial Code preferred.
- Proficient use of computer programs and databases, including MS Word, Outlook, and SharePoint, and various FHLBank databases.
- Ability to motivate and persuade others through both written and oral communications.
- Ability to identify and analyze legal issues.
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to operate all types of office equipment including computer, copy machine, scanner and telephone.
- Ability to work hours needed to meet the demands of the job.
- Corporate Counsel - A minimum of five years of similar or related experience.
- Assistant General Counsel - Five to ten years of similar or related experience, including experience in banking or financial services.
FHLBank offers a hybrid operating model* and an attractive benefits package including health & dental insurance, 401(k) with company match, a short-term incentive plan, student loan repayment assistance, onsite fitness center with shower facilities and much more.
*Eligible positions may have the opportunity to work remotely up to two days per week.
Find more details & apply online: fhlbtopeka.com/careers
FHLBank Topeka's products and services help our member financial institutions support affordable housing and community development efforts across the Midwest. We have been headquartered in Topeka, Kansas, since 1932.
FHLBank is an equal opportunity employer. We accept all people, celebrate diversity and promote an inclusive workplace.
Location/Region: Topeka, KS