Douglas County, Kansas Fair Board Executive Administrator
The Douglas County Fair Board is a 10-member board appointed by recommendation to the Douglas County Board of Commissioners comprising of one representative from each township and one representative from the City of Lawrence. The executive administrator position takes direction and reports directly to the Douglas County Fair Board.
Responsibilities: Working under the direction of the Douglas County Fair Board and in concert with the K-State Research and Extension- Douglas County the executive administrator will be responsible for the following:
Budgeting and Financial Management
- Track and record expenses and revenue for the Douglas County Fair Board.
- Develop and manage annual budget for fair board.
- Apply for and secure financial support from the Douglas County Board of Commissioners.
- Secure award sponsors.
- Oversee distribution of special award and premium payments.
- Prepare annual update to the Douglas County Fair Book.
- Receive and process county fair vendor applications.
- Plan, promote and manage spring livestock weigh-in and tagging events.
- Manage FairEntry database for both 4-H and open class entries.
- Attend monthly meetings and take minutes.
- Prepare and distribute monthly meeting agendas, minutes and financial reports.
- Recruit and work with open class division volunteers.
- Assist and support 4-H department volunteers.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Serve as a public face of the Douglas County Fair Board.
- Interact with local media and community partners.
- Promote the Douglas County Fair as a premier regional event.
- Market the county fair through various outlets including providing content for social media platforms and fair website.
- Identify external potential collaborators and opportunities for cross-promotion.
Preferred Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Ability to thrive in a fluid, unstructured, entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to build relationships with new and existing stakeholders.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed.
- Ability to learn and apply rules, policies and procedures.
- Strong facilitation skills, including ability to work with diverse groups and individuals to an establish goals and develop consensus-based solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and personal communications.
- Strong computer skills, including the use of communication and financial tools, and various online platforms.
- A demonstrated commitment to ensuring equity and working with diverse individuals and groups.
- Ability to keep sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Academic coursework and/ or professional development or professional employment related to the position responsibilities.
- Experience developing and administering budgets.
- Prior 4-H, FFA or event management experience is a plus.
Flexible schedule. Remote and in office work.
- Starting pay depending on experience.
- Not to exceed 1,000 hours annually.
Please send resume, cover letter and three professional references to the Douglas County Fair Board at email@example.com. Hard copy applications will be accepted in a sealed envelope at the Extension office at 2110 Harper St Lawrence, KS. Applications will be accepted until October 29, 2021. Review of applications will begin on October 25, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Questions about the position can be directed to David Metsker, fair board president, at 785-331-9904 or Brandon Falley at 785-550-8615.
The Douglas County Fair Board believes diversity and inclusion strengthen our communities and workplaces. The Douglas County Fair Board does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, age, height, weight, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, or veteran status.
Location/Region: Lawrence, KS