Openings at both the KU Lawrence campus and the KU Edwards Campus in Overland Park, KS.
- Secure locks on buildings and rooms in academic, business and residential facilities on various KU campuses.
- Provide patrol inside the facilities reporting security, maintenance & code compliance problems; support the Police Dept. with jurisdiction in emergencies & major events; requires extended walking & stair climbing; must be a high school graduate/GED.
- Thorough background check, valid driver's license required.
- Shift is rotating, including weekends and holidays.
35% - Make regular inspection tours on foot of assigned buildings which may require walking long distances, climbing stairs and subjection to extreme weather conditions.
- Some buildings accessible only by stairways.
- Complete inspections of assigned route(s), checking buildings twice when assigned to one route and once when assigned to two or more routes.
- Ensure buildings are locked or unlocked according to the daily schedule and/or reservations.
- Must be able to insert keys of various shapes and sizes, including allen wrenches, into small key holes and turn.
- Check doors, windows and gates ensuring appropriate security.
- Monitor people in buildings for authorization to be on premises.
- Request unauthorized individuals to vacate.
- Maintain an awareness of route information such as building hours, ongoing maintenance problems, fire and intrusion alarm status.
- Recognize routine problems and take appropriate action.
- May be assigned to monitor CCTV cameras in absence of student security monitors.
20% - Safeguard the University against hazards, safety issues and property damage.
- Detect audible alarms such as fire, intrusion or trouble and rapidly report available information from alarm panels.
- Must be able to distinguish multi-colored indicator lights and read locators.
- Take appropriate action for problem areas or unsafe conditions such a faulty wiring or malfunctioning stairwell lights.
- Inspect University buildings with an eye toward utility conservation.
- Turn off unnecessary lights, electrical equipment, water faucets, etc.
- Report criminal or suspicious activity to proper authorities as activity is discovered.
- Take prompt action to eliminate immediate danger to life or property.
20% - Respond immediately and provide building access during emergency situations in assigned areas.
- Assist in building evacuation when necessary, especially in case of fire/fire alarms.
- May require use of stairway as elevator usage may be unsafe or not available.
- Assist in perimeter control, when necessary, which may involve exposure to extreme weather conditions and standing without the chance for relief/breaks for extended periods of time.
- Report life threatening conditions and/or property loss/damage to proper authorities.
- Provide assistance in accordance with training, common sense and/or stand by until help arrives.
- Carry-out all required and appropriate duties as needed or assigned.
- May be assigned with little or no advance notice to work special assignments.
8% - Complete and submit activity logs, maintenance reports and timesheets in accordance with departmental procedures in a timely manner and designated by the supervisor.
- Record, log and report information such as security lapses, unauthorized persons and other related activities in a well organized, easy to understand, accurate, concise format with all pertinent or required information included.
5% - Remain knowledgeable of state fire codes, University safety guidelines and policies governing University buildings.
5% - Maintain proper care and control of department equipment and vehicle.
- Attend, aid and/or participate in training as required by the supervisor or department.
- Assist in section orientation for new personnel as required.
- May conduct training of new security officers, submitting progress reports to the supervisor.
4% - Perform security responsibilities at special events including, but not limited to, basketball and football games.
- Utilize vehicle in accordance with traffic ordinances and department policy.
- Use proper radio techniques and procedures.
- Maintain a working knowledge in identification and proper use of the various types of keys and locking devices, taking special care with building keys issued in order to perform assigned duties.
- Keep all issued equipment readily available and in good repair.
- Report all equipment needs to supervisor as the need arises.
- May be required to work on various assignments to include, but not limited to, Kansas Athletics, Spencer Museum of Art, academic and residential facilities on Lawrence and Edwards campuses.
3% - Establish and maintain professional contact with University employees, residents and others common to the campus.
- Obtain their cooperation and favorable attitude.
- Present a professional demeanor and a well-groomed appearance in compliance with department rules and regulations.
- Interact with co-workers, law enforcement officers and other department personnel to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Adhere to University policies, general principles of security, departmental rules and regulations.
1. High school diploma or completion of a G.E.D.
1. U.S. citizen or non-U.S. citizen legally able to perform the work in or for the United States.
(NOTE: Naturalized U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens legally able to perform work in or for the U.S. must provide appropriate official documentation for proof of such.)
2. Free of any diversions for or convictions of felonies and free of serious misdemeanors.
3. Must be in compliance with the KU Public Safety Office policies and procedures regarding intentional body alterations.
For additional information, contact Sandy Patchen at 785-864-5901.
- Must process and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must pass a thorough background check.
- Ability to perform all essential job functions and not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of self or others.
1. Experience in a post-assigned security position.
2. Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer (as evidenced in resume or cover letter).
Additional Candidate Instruction
Contact Information to Applicants Sandy Patchen, firstname.lastname@example.org, 785-864-5901
Application Deadline/Review Date: Applications will be reviewed as submitted.
Specific Detailed Applications Instructions for this position:
- It is required that you attach a cover letter and a resume with the online application.
- You will be asked to upload these documents on the first pages of the application.
- Applications will not be processed without these documents.
Advertised Salary Range $12.65 - $13.89 hourly maximum beginning salary. Commensurate on qualifications.
To apply: http://employment.ku.edu/staff/10964BR
KU is an EO/AAE, full policy http://policy.ku.edu/IOA/nondiscrimination
Location/Region: Lawrence, KS