Planned Parenthood Great Plains (PPGP) seeks a Director of Communications and Marketing for this 21st Century health care provider and advocacy organization dedicated to ensuring that every individual has the knowledge, opportunity, and freedom to make informed, private decisions about their sexual and reproductive health. Reporting directly to PPGP’s Vice President of Public Affairs and Communications, the Director of Communications and Marketing will develop and implement media, communications, and marketing strategies to promote PPGP as a leading provider of sexual and reproductive health, and to help advance advocacy, health services and education work. The Director of Communications and Marketing will work directly with department heads and collaborate closely with PPGP communications, public affairs, development, education, health services and affiliate staff in coordinating media and marketing campaigns. A collaborative style, strong work ethic, and enthusiasm for building bridges between staff, Board, donors and other key stakeholders are essential.
OBJECTIVES FOR THE DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING
The Director of Communications and Marketing will be responsible for overseeing the execution of PPGP’s media and marketing initiatives with an emphasis on increasing PPGP’s presence in the community in the areas of health services, education and advocacy. The Director will also assist in administrative duties, fundraising, and special events, and work closely with members of PPGP’s Public Affairs and Communications team, PPGP’s External Affairs team, PPGP’s Health Services team, and the Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri (PPMO) team. A collaborative style, strong work ethic, and enthusiasm for building bridges between staff, Board, donors and other key stakeholders are essential.
Responsibilities of the Director of Communication and Marketing
- Develop and implement communications and marketing strategies and messages to educate and inform the community about PPGP’s mission, programs and services.
- Supervise and support the communications and marketing team in carrying out communications and marketing responsibilities, and stay informed of the team’s progress through regular updates and weekly meetings.
- Provide guidance and support to the Provider Relations Manager in carrying out outreach and marketing responsibilities aimed at increasing referral relationships across the affiliate.
- Identify opportunities to promote public awareness of PPGP and its mission, clients, education programs and health services (media coverage, feature articles, interviews, presentations, special events, online presence, etc.).
- Track local media, public affairs issues, and the local health care community to identify opportunities to educate and inform the community of PPGP’s mission, programs, and services.
- Draft press statements, press releases, op-eds, media advisories and letters to the editor as needed; edit and review external communications materials.
- Proactively prepare timely and accurate updates and talking points for external communications to address public affairs issues featuring PPGP’s brand, mission, programs, health services and clients.
- Prepare and draft timely and accurate updates and talking points for internal communications to staff, boards, and committees regarding PPGP’s services, programs, events, and advocacy efforts.
- Support and expand relationships with representatives from the media and community organizations.
- Promptly field and coordinate all media-related inquiries.
- Track and analyze communications trends to maintain “best practices” guidelines for earned media opportunities.
- Maintain and update media lists and database of media relations contacts.
- Distribute and house press clippings for tracking purposes and prepare monthly media reports including PPGP appearances, PPGP messaging usage by actors outside of PPGP, issue-related articles, and opposition media as needed.
- Coordinate marketing and media-related campaigns, events and trainings.
- Identify opportunities and conduct trainings for PPGP staff and volunteers to participate in public speaking engagements and media interviews.
- Develop and implement PPGP marketing campaigns and placement of advertising, and produce PPGP related organizational publications such as newsletters, annual reports, and brochures, (etc).
- Interface with internal and external PPGP staff to maintain in-depth knowledge of Planned Parenthood’s mission, programs, and services, and public affairs issues.
- Assist with budget development for communications and marketing projects in consultation with the VP of Public Affairs and Communications.
- Assist in developing and implementing PPGP’s strategic plan, and manage the reporting processes for communications and marketing activities.
- Participate in drafting grant proposals related to communications and marketing activities in consultation with the Development department, and prepares relevant grant reports as required by funders.
- Assist in the coordination of PPGP’s annual conference, and other conference opportunities offered through PPFA.
- Attend appropriate meetings and provides staff support for committees as assigned.
- Weekend hours and other flexible scheduling may be required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the VP of Public Affairs and Communications.
Experience and Qualifications
- Although it is unlikely that any one individual will bring all of the qualifications and experiences listed below, the successful candidate will have many of the following attributes:
- Commitment to PPGP’s mission, purpose, and values.
- A smart, intellectually curious, strategic and creative professional with Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university, three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Established relationships with media in the fields of health care, sex education and public affairs.
- Superb writing and editing skills, including the ability to carefully target messaging and quickly turn around materials.
- Ability to develop thoughtful pieces for long-lead outlets as well as respond quickly to current events.
- Direct experience leading and implementing health care communications, messaging strategy and marketing campaigns.
- Strong ability to advise senior staff on communications messaging and marketing initiatives.
- Understanding of reproductive health, sex education and related public affairs issues with the ability to distill complicated issues and research for messaging to multiple audiences.
- Successful experience in challenging, controversial media campaigns.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with Boards, staff, and volunteers to accomplish program goals.
- Ability to prioritize work on a number of ongoing projects.
- Ability to utilize graphic design software and tools.
- Experience with Convio or equivalent email messaging platform, Microsoft Office/Word, Access and relational databases, and in social media strategy and tools including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, web page development and/or maintenance.Ability to travel throughout Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri to health centers and state capitals.
- Ability to manipulate figures and data with speed and accuracy.
- Must be a motivated, self-starter and able to function productively and effectively with a degree of autonomy.
- A multi-disciplinary thinker with excellent analytical skills and the ability to understand new concepts and complex subjects, to translate PPGP’s mission and work to diverse constituencies, to solve problems and to exercise good judgment in a fast-paced environment.
- A highly sophisticated approach as well as the intellectual depth and maturity to work with cross-functional teams to create online messaging and marketing/outreach campaigns.
- Commitment to exceptional work quality and standards.
- Principled, ethical, and professional.
- A high level of enthusiasm, energy, initiative, and drive.
- Evening and weekend work is required.
- A sense of humor, perspective, and grace.
EOE/AA—PPGP is an equal-opportunity, inclusive employer, committed to diversity in the workplace.
Only those candidates including a cover letter with salary information will be considered for this position.
THE WORK OF PPGP
For 81 years, PPGP has been delivering high-quality, affordable, reproductive health care services. By providing clinical services, education, training, and advocacy, it seeks to help individuals make informed decisions about their reproductive health, family planning options, and sexuality. In order to make these ideals a reality, PPGP provides people with accurate information and access to highly trained practitioners for preventive care. PPGP sees a world in which every child is wanted and every woman is trusted to make her own decisions, every choice regarding sexuality is personal and respected, and everyone has access to affordable, quality health care.
As an affiliate of, and accredited by, the Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), PPGP operates twelve high-quality health centers throughout Arkansas, Kansas, the Mid-Missouri region, and Oklahoma, with a centralized call center and online appointment scheduling. PPGP serves people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse needs. PPGP currently provides reproductive health services in Arkansas, Kansas, the Mid-Missouri region, and Oklahoma. The medical staff includes three board certified OB/GYN physicians who provides abortion services, as well as nurse practitioners.
Location/Region: Overland Park, KS (US)