While working under the general direction of the Bindery Department Shift Supervisor or the person in charge, the Bindery Set-up Operator performs will be able to setup and run bindery equipment, including folding machines with minimal supervision. The Bindery Operator must also be able to run the cutter. Preference will also be given to candidates who can run a die cutting press and/or a stitcher. The Bindery Operator also is responsible for assisting senior operators with leadership, team work, and problem solving in Bindery.
- Reviewing the schedule board for the next job assigned to the machine or line of equipment being worked on.
- Acquiring the job folder and reviewing it for specifications or special instructions that may impact the operation or setting up of the machine or line of equipment.
- Following routine procedures in the setting-up and in the operation of the machine or line of equipment.
- Reviewing the quality of the product continuously to meet that which is required.
- Maintaining the required records with quantities or any other information that may be helpful or required.
- Learning to become a more skilled operator and in becoming more familiar with all of the equipment through the maintenance and repairing of such equipment, and the immediate area.
- Assisting in the training of lesser skilled workers.
- Inspecting products, deciding to accept or reject the products in order to maintain the quality level required.
- Performing daily, as well as periodic, maintenance on all of the In-line equipment, and assisting in the repairing and/or the rebuilding of the equipment when called upon.
- Maintaining quality and production records in a prescribed manner to provide useful information on the given job.
- Reporting unusual conditions or circumstances to the supervisor or the person in charge.
- Working on job assignments in other manufacturing areas as instructed.
- Comfort Performing Tedious Tasks-Able to perform repetitive tasks for long periods of time.
- Attendance-Works with supervisor to try to make schedule work and help cover difficult times. Shows up on time when scheduled.
- Conscientiousness-Strictly adheres to all company policies and procedures, complies with safety regulations
- Achievement Orientation-Strives to be successful at tasks and to meet or exceed goals. Accepts targets and goals, and makes certain they are met
- Cooperativeness-Willing to take direction from supervisors and, when appropriate, go along with coworkers' ways of doing things. Willing to follow rules.
- Communication Skills- Has the ability to clearly convey directions, information and/or feedback both verbally and in writing
- Follows Directions-Is able to easily understand instructions and complete tasks with minimal supervision
High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED)
Sufficient experience in the printing industry
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
On The Job Training Requirements
- Electric Dolly
- Department orientation/New Hire Temp Training
- Perform Mathematical Computations
- Use Measurement Devices
- Record Data
Sit--N (Not Applicable)
Handling / Fingering--C (Constantly)
Reach Outward--C (Constantly)
Reach Above Shoulder--O (Occasionally)
Climb--N (Not Applicable)
Crawl--N (Not Applicable)
Squat or Kneel--O (Occasionally)
Push / Pull
12 lbs or less--F (Frequently)
13-25 lbs--F (Frequently)
26-40 lbs--O (Occasionally)
41-100 lbs--O (Occasionally)
10 lbs or less--F (Frequently)
11-20 lbs--O (Occasionally)
21-50 lbs--O (Occasionally)
51-100 lbs--O (Occasionally)
Over 100 lbs--N (Not Applicable)
N (Not Applicable)--Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)--Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently)--Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly)--Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Other Physical Requirements
- Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth Perception)
- Sense of Touch
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Safety Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection)
While performing Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this job, the employee regularly works near moving equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Employees in this position may be advised or required to utilize personal protective equipment including but not limited to: ear protection, eye protection, lifting equipment, and protective smocks.
The company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
Throughout our history of meeting clients’ print needs, James Printing has become many things to many people. We’ve served as innovators, consultants, communicators and problem-solvers. We are relationship builders who consistently put our clients first and put in 100% effort on every project. We are old-school in our belief that quality care and relentless commitment to outstanding print quality are essential principles of our reliability, yet we remain on the forefront of changing technology in the industry.
Throughout our 44 years in business, James Printing has remained true to one mission: to help customers achieve their print and graphic arts goals while delivering an “extreme” level of customer service on each and every job. We pride ourselves on paying close attention to even the smallest details, regardless of a project’s run size or complexity, to ensure the finished print piece meets or exceeds expectations and delivers tangible business results.
We are committed to maintaining an unwavering commitment to the standards and principles established by our founder, Roger James. These ideals include:
Transparency and Consistency
Honesty and Integrity
Providing Best-In-Class Printing at a Fair Price
He believed that only by getting to know each customer’s unique needs could we help find ways to help them achieve their goals. That’s why we’re proud to have customer and vendor relationships established in our early years that continue to flourish today.
Even as the printing industry changes and technology evolves, James Printing continues to grow by helping customers find new and innovative ways to grow their businesses. Our leadership team would like to thank the many employees, vendors, clients and friends who’ve supported James Printing in becoming Kansas City’s most trusted full-service printer.
Ultimately, our goal is to deliver exceptional service and advanced print solutions for the best possible price. If you have questions or need assistance in making your next project a reality, our dedicated team of account execs, customer service reps, and printing and fulfillment experts can help.