Great ideas sometimes come from singular inspiration, but more often they’re a result of collaborative effort. Inside Garmin, we like to foster an environment of participation and engagement. We support professional development, offer well-designed career paths and adhere to a policy that prioritizes promoting from within the company to maximize the opportunities for our associates. We are also committed to being a good corporate citizen and providing opportunities for associates to contribute toward a healthy, sustainable world.Our Aviation Database Development team in Olathe, Kansas is hiring a full-time Software Engineer 1 to develop database-centered applications for Garmin aviation products. In addition to developing basic software solutions in C, C++, Java, Python, or other selected languages, Aviation Software Engineers will perform maintenance activities for products already in production and troubleshoot basic issue reports, reproduce issues and evaluate technical cause and implement and test software solutions.
Other responsibilities for Software Engineers in our aviation database group include:
- Identify and resolve defects of basic scope using proper engineering tools and techniques such as debuggers, emulators, simulators, and database analysis tools
- Communicates status of work clearly providing visibility to supervisor or mentor
- May be responsible for planning own technical work
- Applies design standards and procedures to implement basic designs
- Learns how to use and apply engineering tools as needed for this role
- Thoroughly documents work in an organized manner
- Research technical issues to find a root cause, but be able to communicate answers to non-technical customers
- Organize data from a variety of outside sources into a common format
- Works collaboratively and professionally in a team environment with other Garmin associates to achieve goals
- Accepts and acts on constructive criticism
- Apply Garmin’s Mission Statement and Quality Policy and enthusiastically exhibit a desire to see Garmin succeed
- Other responsibilities include analyzing prospective data sources and providers, checking for accuracy, consistency, and quality of the data. Team members are expected to be active participants during the design process for new database projects. Attention to detail and deadlines is essential.
Candidates for this role should possess a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or a degree from a related field (such as Math, CIS, or IT) with a strong programming background relevant to the essential functions of this job description from a four-year college or university OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience plus a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule with the demonstrated ability to apply learned knowledge.
Qualified candidates will also demonstrate knowledge, education, experience and/or training necessary to develop basic software in C, C++, Java, Python, or other selected languages. Skills or experience with RDBMS, SQL, and data conversion are preferred but not mandatory. Candidates should possess demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Candidates with experience working in a team environment are preferred!
Our benefits, designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life, keep us competitive and allow our associates to make their own decisions about their well-being and future. We offer a choice of healthcare plans—with low or no premiums—which consistently rank in the 90th percentile when compared to other high-tech employers, plus dental and vision plans for you and your family. In addition, our financial benefits rate 82% above the median for technology companies comparable in size. Our 401K retirement plan provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount. EEO/AA/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Please apply online at www.garmin.com/careers Job Requirements:
Salary Range: Neg-Neg Relocation: Travel: Job Ident #: