As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
At Garmin, our mechanical engineers create products that solve complex problems and make people’s lives safer, healthier and more enjoyable. From sketches on paper to something you can hold in your hands, our MEs are involved in production every step of the way. Mechanical engineers have a lot of freedom when it comes to their day-to-day job. They work with electrical engineers and industrial designers to design better products that solve thermal, shielding, cosmetic, human factor and manufacturability issues. Whatever your passion – parts, products, design or project scope – you can find it at Garmin.
We are looking for a full-time Aviation Mechanical Engineer with advanced skills to design and develop next generation consumer electronics at our headquarters in Olathe, Kansas. In this role you will be responsible for developing moderately complex mechanical designs, test and validate the designs, and delivering to mass productions. You’ll also be responsible for communicating with vendors that produce custom mechanical parts as required. Other essential functions include:
- Complete moderately complex mechanical designs for Garmin or OEM products
- Expert CAD user able to model complex parts
- Collaborates and adds value through participation in design reviews, providing comments and suggestions on mechanical engineering designs
- Mockup and test basic mechanical systems to verify compliance with design requirements
- Interface with Electrical Engineers, Industrial Designers, and toolmakers to manage basic tradeoffs between process, production, appearance and performance
- Make estimates on tooling, part cost and design time for basic mechanical designs
- Demonstrated ability to specify test plans to validate moderately complex systems
- Must possess knowledge of injection molding, die casting, sheet metal stamping, machining processes, etc.
- Must demonstrate proficient knowledge of preferred part materials for basic part production and performance
Qualified candidates possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or Aerospace Engineering from a four-year college or university AND one-year relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience with a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Other requirements include:
- Demonstrates knowledge of CAD software and the ability to model moderately complex parts
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge and utilization of engineering tools necessary for successful performance of the essential functions of this job description
- Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
Previous experience in design, particularly consumer products and experience working in a team environment are highly preferred!
Our benefits are designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life. They allow our associates to make their own decisions about their wellbeing and future and consistently rank Garmin as a top tier benefits provider when compared to other high-tech employers. We offer a choice of high value medical, dental and vision plans with low or no premiums, to fit your and your family’s preferences. In addition, Garmin’s financial benefits include a generous 401K retirement plan that provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount. Garmin offers many other benefits and perks ranging from wellbeing initiatives, educational assistance and career development, community charity support, and employee discounts just to name a few.
EEO/AA/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Salary Range: Neg-Neg Relocation: Travel: Job Ident #: 16000SH