As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
Garmin aviation, now boarding – new engineers! Our avionics team is looking for self-motivated, confident and passionate engineers to help us create products that solve complex problems and make pilots lives safer, healthier and more enjoyable. At Garmin, our aviation technology provides an industry-leading combination of performance, safety, quality, value, innovation and ease of operation to help our consumers get the most out of every hour they spend in the air. We strive for continual innovation, resulting in high-quality, state-of-the-art products aimed at giving our pilots an unwavering level of confidence when they’re up in the air.
Garmin is looking for a full time Aviation Software Engineer to provide technical leadership and project planning for software development for the next generation of aviation products with our team in Kansas City. Aviation Software Engineers design and/or review architected modules and software systems supporting new technology or improving capability/performance of existing functionality.
Aviation Software Engineers will also be responsible for the following:
- Decomposes functional requirements into well defined tasks
- Researches fundamental problems and implements algorithm solutions that are appropriate
- Balances quality, quantity and complexity in work output
- Offers peer technical assessments in areas of expertise, new technologies and software designs
- Assist design engineering as needed with component datasheet review and schematic design review
- May partner with electrical engineering and process manufacturer to turn on new processors
- May work with software vendors to integrate externally developed deliverables into project
- Evaluates new technologies as they apply to existing functions
- Participates in project leadership and/or program planning including providing technical input to product development plans and concept documents
- Makes substantial contributions toward determination of project goal/objective feasibility
- Contributes to advanced technical research on new technologies
- Independently determines general approach and specific solutions to technical problems
- Offers process improvement suggestions and authors new procedures as appropriate
- Provides reliable solutions to a wide range of difficult problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Applies good judgment in setting schedules and risk taking
- Exemplifies Garmin’s Mission Statement and Quality Policy and proactively works to improve Garmin’s image and culture
- Applies knowledge of production and operations issues as they relate to engineering
Other responsibilities include reviewing product and/or application information manuals and brochures for technical accuracy and participating in product definition activities such as feature analysis and system tradeoffs. Job Requirements:
Candidates for this role should possess a Master of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math or Physics or another relevant engineering/technical field AND a minimum of 3 years relevant experience OR Bachelor of Science Degree in any of the fields noted above AND a minimum of 5 year relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience plus a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule.
Qualified candidates will also demonstrate proficiency with designing well architectured software systems and modules that support new technology or improve capability/performance of existing functionality and competence with researching fundamental problems and implementing appropriate algorithmic solutions. Demonstrated ability to serve as a lead software engineer for a complex software project and the ability to decompose functional requirements into well defined tasks while balancing quality, quantity and complexity in work output are also required.
Other requirements for this role include:
- Demonstrated capability to offer peer technical assessments in areas of expertise, new technologies and software designs
- Must possess proficiency in writing software in C, C++, C# or Java as appropriate for performing the essential functions of this job description
- Must possess relevant experience and/or training in data structures or object oriented design methodology relevant to Garmin’s business needs
- Must possess relevant education and/or experience in software design, development and maintenance, as required for the successful performance of the essential functions of the position
Experience in a formal development environment with embedded coding, Python, OpenGL, and user interface design are preferred skills. A private pilot license is preferred.
Our benefits are designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life. They allow our associates to make their own decisions about their well being and future and consistently rank Garmin as a top tier benefits provider when compared to other high-tech employers. We offer a choice of high value medical, dental and vision plans with low or no premiums, to fit your and your family’s preferences. In addition, Garmin’s financial benefits include a generous 401K retirement plan that provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount. Garmin offers many other benefits and perks ranging from well being initiatives, educational assistance and career development, community charity support, and employee discounts just to name a few.
EEO/AA/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Salary Range: Neg-Neg Relocation: Travel: Job Ident #: 16000OX