As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
Associates get the royal treatment at Garmin. Regardless if you’re a newbie or a veteran, engineers dream it, design it and use it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment (no dress code!) where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
Left or right? East or west? Our cartography technicians have the know-how to make sure our products don’t steer you wrong. Responsible for the attribution, maintenance and digitization of cartographic data, our technicians assist engineering in researching, defining, creating and evaluating all maps used in Garmin products. Heading out for a day on the water? Our technicians had a hand in creating that marine map. Going hiking in the Rockies? Yep, they did that too. Sightseeing on the streets of Paris? Ditto again. Our technicians maintain all of that geographic data using custom and 3rd party software so you always know where to go. Come on, what are you waiting for – are you ready to follow the leader?
We are looking for a full-time Cartography Technician 1 at our headquarters in the greater Kansas City area. In this role you will be responsible for editing, manipulating and maintaining geographic data using custom and 3rd party software. Other essential functions include:
- Executes tasks as directed by Team Lead or mentor
- Ensure the application of appropriate cartographic specifications to the data
- Help evaluate and process database updates according to established methodology
- Conduct testing and evaluation of Garmin cartography products
- Perform established operations for quality assurance
- Fundamental understanding of Garmin’s Cartography development process
Qualified candidates must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in cartography or geography from a four-year college or university or 4 years’ experience performing a role substantially similar to the essential functions of this job description. Other requirements include:
- Must possess a basic working knowledge and understanding of digital cartographic principles relevant to Garmin’s business needs
- Proficient computer skills - familiarity with PC applications and Windows Operating System (OS)
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to work proactively and effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a flexible, fast paced and challenging environment
- Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude and work well with others
- Understanding of Aeronautical Charts and Procedures and ground school or pilot experience is highly preferred.
Our benefits are designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life. They allow our associates to make their own decisions about their wellbeing and future and consistently rank Garmin as a top tier benefits provider when compared to other high-tech employers. We offer a choice of high value medical, dental and vision plans with low or no premiums, to fit your and your family’s preferences. In addition, Garmin’s financial benefits include a generous 401K retirement plan that provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount. Garmin offers many other benefits and perks ranging from wellbeing initiatives, educational assistance and career development, community charity support, and employee discounts just to name a few.
EEO/AA/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Salary Range: Neg-Neg Relocation: Travel: Job Ident #: 170002S
Location/Region: Olathe, KS (US)